Sunday, July 27, 2008

AOF Festival - Day 3, Sunday July 27

Today was the second day I was able to go down to the AOF festival. I had to miss yesterday because of work that came up. Today my brother Adam went down with me for the afternoon, and we saw a few films.

P.J. - Feature

We missed the beginning of this film, but the basic story is about a man who has multiple personalities, and him dealing with those, and it actually dove into some interesting things in the subtext. I don't think I would ever watch this film again, but it made me think about a lot of stuff, so that was good.

Check Brights - Short

An experimental short, at least I think, it had some weird techno music going on in the background, the whole thing was shot in super close ups, and it was really short. It was basically about a guy who gets mad for someone not turning their bright lights off when they pass him on the road, and he kills them for it. Didn't care for this one too much.

The Rat Thing - Feature

One of the best features I've ever seen at AOF. This was a hilarious comedy about two buddies who hatch a plot to pretend a rat bit one of them at a local supermarket. As you can imagine, some crazy stuff happens! The performances and chemistry of the two leads was terrific, and the rat was, dare I say, adorable! Great film!

Red Canvas - Feature

Was really looking forward to Red Canvas. I knew it would look good, and it had some name actors in it as well. The look of the film was great, but the story and acting kind of fell flat for me. The story is basically about a guy who gets in prison, he gets out only because one of the prison guards trains MMA fighters to compete in this Red Canvas thing. Anyway, his dad ends up getting hurt and needs money to pay bills for his business, etc. so the son fights in the Red Canvas Tournament. I felt the bond between the son and father could have been much better, and it would have made me care more for the characters, but it wasn't there. Still didn't feel like I had wasted two hours, I enjoyed the fighting sequences, they were very unique in their shooting style.

No comments:

Blog Archive