Monday, October 22, 2007

California Ablaze....

Sunday morning started normal. We went to church (had my morning Starbucks) and then went to lunch after church. We spotted a big fire that had started in Castaic, which is very southwest from us. As we drove home we spotted another fire on the hillside, and it seemed pretty close. I was a little skeptical, so I climbed the hill behind our house, with my camera, and the fire was very far away. I came back down the hill and announced to the family that the fire was far away. An hour passed. My Aunt, Uncle, and cousins came over as planned (they had come to have a BBQ and watch football) They decided to take a hike up the hill to check out the fire. I stayed behind, didn't want to spend the time to go up again. When they got back they announced the fire was very close. I was still skeptical, but went outside anyway, and took my camera. A helicopter flew overhead, and I grabbed some shots, then I went inside. The electricity went out, and the tension grew. My mom yelled for me to go out to take more pictures as I heard the loud sound of a chopper overhead. I ran outside to see a huge chopper right near the side of the house. I looked up the hill and saw flames creeping downward. I went inside and said, "Yeah, we might have to leave." I went to my room to pack my hard drives and computer away. Moments later my dad comes in and says to my mom "Grab some clothes we're leaving." I grabbed a few clothes and threw them into a suitcase. My dad came over and told me "Get mom's computer, the fire is almost down the hill, don't say anything" I ran to grab the computer and tossed it in the back of my car, along with my hard drives, computer, and some clothing. Then I helped get a few more things in the other cars, and got my dog Rosie into my car as well. We then took off as the flames came to within 20 feet of the house. My dad stayed by the house, and we took the dogs somewhere to stay overnight, and we went to my Aunt and Uncle's house 20 miles north to stay for a bit. We got word we could come back to the house that night, so we did, and spent a sleepless night ready to leave at any minute as hot spots continued to flair up. Now things here are VERY safe, but the rest of Southern California is in grave danger.









1 comment:

Ginafish said...

Brandon, I'm so glad to see you post about this and let us know how everything is going for your family! I'm glad to see everything worked out okay. I posted an entry at Isara's fun and random thread so they could come see your pictures.

(Big HUgS!)
MCbwY!

Blog Archive